Valley of the Latte Summer Camp 2021 Ke' Tungo I Kutturan CHamoru
The Valley of the Latte is proud to announce the return of our SUMMER CAMP - entitled "Ke' Tungo I Kutturan CHamoru" (Learn about the CHamoru Culture)!
2021 Summer Camp Starting June 7th — Reservations are Now Available!
Ages 8 to 13. Only 40 Campers will be accepted per 2-week session. Don't wait to reserve your camper's spot!
Get ready for an adventure like no other—at the Valley of the Latte's Summer Camp! In our summer adventures, campers get outside to explore habitats, discover wildlife, connect with friends, and create new memories. Led by experienced educators, campers learn about our island's history, beauty, and culture in the unique and magical setting of the Valley. Campers will have an amazing amount of fun participating in great workshops and activities throughout their 2-week camp!
Campers will learn:
- how to create both practical and beautifully decorative woven items from Coconut leaves, Pago Fiber, and Akgak. Campers will learn how to identify leaves for weaving, understand the differences and the different uses of each type, and connect it all with the rich cultural heritage of our people.
- how to select, husk and prep freshly picked Coconuts for Coconut Candy making and other uses of the Coconut.
- how to implement farming techniques, plant seeds and take home saplings, and learn how to not only prepare land for planting but also how to care for our land. Kids will also learn about the Valley's sustainable agricultural techniques, growth cycles, seasons, and soil properties.
- how to care for the local wildlife and how to become an ally of wildlife conservation. Campers will learn about the historical and cultural significance of our island's animal life while they care for and feed the animals every day.
- how to carefully explore the beautiful surrounding areas and leave only footprints. Campers will engage in basic hiking safety and best practices, learn about the cultural significance of the local area, and embark on guided hikes through the valley while carefully documenting their environments. An ecologically friendly tour is a great benefit after being couped up this past year.
- how to carefully Kayak with basic kayaking safety, lessons on paddling, steering, and navigation. Campers will truly be amazed as they embark on guided tours over the calm and cool waters of the only navigable riverways on the island.
We will be offering (5) Five 2-week sessions with a maximum of 20 Campers per group. Kids ages, 8 to 13, will be able to explore the great outdoors from June 7th to August 13th, 2021. To ensure that each group has the maximum amount of adventure, we will be dividing classes into 2 age groups: I Manhoben - Ages 8 to 10 & I Sutero yan I Sutera - Ages 11 to 13.
The safety of our campers, staff, plants, and animals continues to be our top priority. We have implemented safety protocols aligned with guidelines provided by the CDC and local Public Health Authorities. All staff and campers are required to follow the recommended guidelines. The Valley of the Latte is also Guam Safe Certified! Guam Safe Certified is the official Guam designation that says the Valley of the Latte takes care and pride in following government and industry pandemic guidelines.
Space is limited, so don't miss out on this great outdoor cultural adventure experience!
We’re looking forward to welcoming our campers back to the great outdoors!
*Activities subject to change based on weather and other environmental conditions.
*Must book 2 weeks prior to desired Summer Camp Session.